[X-Unix] Altering .bashrc in bash to add to $PATH

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Jan 9 01:09:22 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:10:00PM -0800, Robert Ameeti wrote:
:
: > >>At 22:05 -0800 1/7/04, Robert Ameeti wrote:
:
: Before:
:
: > >>>echo $SHELL gives me /bin/bash
: > >>>echo $PATH gives me /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
:
: I wanted $PATH to be:
: /Library/mySQL/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
:
: It seems that Apple has changed the default shell from tcsh to bash as
: of Panther.

And, IMO, one of Apple's best decisions.

: Most users seem to be more familiar with tcsh.

Actually, most Mac users unfamiliar with anything Unix seem to be more
familiar with tcsh.

: bash uses the .bash_profile file in the ~ directory for path
: enhancement. So for me, the answer was:
:
: echo 'export PATH=/Library/MySQL/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.bash_profile

You can also edit the file with the command-line too "pico", or even
edit it in TextEdit:

	$ open ~/.bash_profile

: Others will need to alter the above path enhancement as necessary to
: accomplish their goal.

As well as letting everyone know what your default shell is!

: Thanks to all for your pointers. It took a village to get this simple
: thing done.  lol

(-:

--
Eugene Lee