[X-Unix] Script - works, but not where I need it to

Bert Knabe bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com
Thu Jul 1 14:47:21 PDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Scott J. Kramer wrote:

> --On Thursday, July 1, 2004 00:39 -0500 Bert Knabe
> <bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com> wrote:
>
>> Mike Gorsky emailed me off list and gave me a solution - but I'll look
>> up xargs.
>
> The combination of -print0 option with the find command and -0 with
> the xargs command are recommended for avoiding troubles with pathnames
> containing space characters.  Also, using single or double quotes for
> quoting pathnames containing space characters can be more readable than
> using backslashes, with (IMO) less risk of dangerously misbehaving
> typos.
> Using your example, compare:
>
>    /Volumes/composing/\ \ \ Running\ Ads/
>
> with:
>
>   '/Volumes/composing/   Running Ads/'

That's why my quotes weren't working. That was the way I originally did
it, but I thought you only quoted out the problem characters, and I
used double quotes. I would have had a working script several days ago
if I'd had it right.

> However, an advantage of the backslashes is being able to easily count
> the space characters by eye.

I prefer readability, myself. But since it's working now, I'm not going
to mess with it.

Thanks,

Bert Knabe
Computer Technician
Lubbock Avalanche Journal
bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com
(806) 766-2158

Nothing contained in this email is intended to be an offer to commit
Morris Communications Company to any purchase, sale, contract, or other
course of action.