[X-Unix] HD with both OSX- and linux-readable partitions

Adrian Simmons adrinux at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 6 18:05:29 PDT 2004

Warren Pollans wrote:
> Is this possible?  Create two 20 GB partitions (1 hfs+, 1 ext3)?
IIRC yes, it's a way dual boot systems can be done.

> Is there one fdisk that can create both types of partitions?
IIRC (its been a while since I used linux) pdisk can do this. Failing
that you can just partition the disk with Apples disk utility then
convert one partition to ext3. In fact I think that's how I used to do
it for LinuxPPC.

> Or will I have to make one from OSX and one from linux?
It used to be the case that there was an os9 version of pdisk -
presumably this now can be run in osx?

> If so, will the partitions of one OS be recognized by the other?
Not sure about that one - thats all down to whether the OS supports the
disk format, its not tied up with how you partition the disk.

> Is the order in which they're made or the order in which they appear on the HD important?
I've no idea, I can't think why it would be.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you'll be able to boot from this
external disk.

HTH

--
adrinux (aka Adrian Simmons)