Airport Extreme (3.4.2) inactivity timer

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Wed Jul 7 21:03:04 PDT 2004

I've just replaced my Graphite Base Station with an dual-Ethernet
Airport Extreme.

The two units perform RADICALLY differently.

The first annoying thing I discovered is that the AEBS has a signal
roughly 10db weaker than the Graphite Base station. (As viewed by
Macstumbler with the two base stations sitting side by side.)

The second thing I have discovered is that the AEBS constantly drops my
wireless connections.

Turning on logging and using another Mac which is connected to the AEBS
via LAN, not wireless, I find that the logs are littered with messages
of the form:

          Disassociated with station 00:30:65:xx:xx:xx (inactivity).

What this implies that the AEBS, unlike the Graphite has some kind of
inactivity timer associated with wireless connections.

While this might be fine for stateless connections such as http and the
like, stateful connections, like ssh, "hang." Needless to say, so far I
have not managed to find any documentation on this issue, let alone
ways to modify it.

One question: Does anyone know of an OS X SNMP tool that will query the
AEBS?

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill at mcgillsociety.org