[X-Unix] monitor processes all night for usage?

luke etyrnal at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 12 13:14:36 PDT 2004

On Sunday, July 11, 2004, at 11:49  AM, William H. Magill sent:

> No, it's not as simple a problem as it appears on the surface.
> One assumes that you are checking the dock and quitting any "inactive"
> applications.

right. true.

> A great many apps are anything but "inactive" when simply "sitting
> there." (Mail is one that comes immediately to mind.)
>
> You could let top run and look at the cumulative CPU time ... (Or the
> GUI version in Applications/Utilities  -- "Activity Monitor")

i'll give that a try...  i was thinking that if i did that then top
would be causing the machine to heat up even more...  =)

> Disk activity is probably the culprit, but there is not an easy way to
> map which process is causing the activity. I/O statistics are reported
> by device, not process.
>
>> would be nice if i could correlate the heat with an app or two.
>
> You don't happen to have a CD or DVD in the drive, by chance?
> If you do, it is spun up periodically (every 15 minutes?) to see
> what's on it.

no - i always eject for this reason...

this is an always on TiBook...

it's been ON for two years almost.  (excepting lightning storms)