[X-Unix] Time Zone for AEBS

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Jul 12 15:20:31 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:38:06PM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
: On 11 Jul, 2004, at 18:09, Eugene Lee wrote:
: >On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:34:33PM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
: >:
: >: Anybody know how to set the time zone for the AEBS?
: >:
: >: Syncing with a timeserver is easy (and it gets logged)... but the
: >: times reported are off by several hours indicating that an incorrect
: >: time zone is set.
: >
: >I don't have an AEBS.  But I thought timezone stuff is a client issue.
:
: Yes. ... but which is the client here is the question.
:
: >Are you sure the AEBS isn't reporting GMT numbers?
:
: Yes, it is.
: [I'm in EDT which is -4 from UT, which is the difference I see.]

That's the key.  NTP distributes time information as UTC (sorry, not GMT
as I originally stated above).  There's nothing in NTP to distribute any
kind of timezone information.  It's up to the local machine syncing to
"know" what timezone it lives in.

: However, I'm looking at the syslog information generated by the AEBS.
: (Which is no longer in ticks, but has been converted to ASCII.)
:
: Locally generated syslog entries have the correct time stamp, so I know
: it's not the logging host, but rather the "host" (AEBS) generating the
: entries.
:
: Both machines synch with the same local timeserver. [A stratum 0 clock.]
:
: Entries viewed via the Airport Management Utility (amu) are displayed
: with the correct time stamp... but then AMU is running on a Mac that
: has a correct time zone setting, and AMU is looking at the raw log
: buffer in the AEBS, not the transmitted syslog entries.

Is there a setting in the AEBS to *not* report the correct time and
instead just simply "mark" the log file?  Are the timestamps from the
AEBS syslog entries in UTC format?

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/