[X-Unix] Changing the default shell

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Tue Jul 13 22:15:22 PDT 2004

Bert Knabe wrote on Wednesday, July 14, 2004:

>On Jul 13, 2004, at 11:28 PM, James Bucanek wrote:
>
>> Bert Knabe wrote on Tuesday, July 13, 2004:
>>
>>> In OS X Server 10.2.8 I can change the shell in the Terminal
>>> Preferences, but that doesn't keep the path display in terminal. I
>>> used to have instructions on what file to edit and how to change the
>>> default shell, but I've lost them. What do I need to do?
>>
>> To change the default shell for real, change the "home" property for
>> the user in the NetInfo database.
>
>I've changed the default shell to bash, which is good. But I thought
>that doing that instead of using the 'temporary' method of having
>execute a command (in this case /bin/bash/) using the Terminal
>Preferences would have bash showing the path to your location in the
>hierarchy the way tcsh does. How would I tell it to do that?

It should do it by default, unless your bash configuration has been altered.

Here's the default bashrc file that's installed in Panther:

    james% cat /etc/bashrc
    # System-wide .bashrc file for interactive bash(1) shells.
    PS1='\h:\w \u\$ '
    # Make bash check it's window size after a process completes
    shopt -s checkwinsize

This should set PS1 (which is the main shell prompt) to '\h:\w \u\$ '.  That should display the following prompt

    <machine_name>:<pwd> <whoami>$

If PS1 isn't that string, then something else is changing it (or you don't have read access to /etc/bashrc).