[X-Unix] Changing the default shell

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 14 12:01:48 PDT 2004

On 7/14/04 8:44 PM, "SeaSoft Systems" <seasoft at west.net> wrote:

> I get a "no manual entry for chsh" message in Jag (OS 10.2.8); I used
> this thread to change all my startup shells to bash (using netinfo
> mgr), but I was curious about the chsh command/method. I have a chsh
> script (or executable) in /usr/bin/chsh, but no docs.
>
> Firing up chsh at the command line just produced a vi session on a
> user-specific text database file of some sort (Aside: I hate it when
> that happens; I typically *cannot* remember the vi "quit" (:q!) or
> "help" (:h) commands so as to exit gracefully :(...
>
> I have developer tools installed; is "man chsh" only available under panther?

Yes, it was broken under Jaguar. Or to be more correct, it didn't interface
with NetInfo.

Kirk

                    Forthcoming book: iPod/iTunes Garage
                        http://www.mcelhearn.com
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .