[X-Unix] Panther "Archive" from command-line?

Scott J. Kramer x-unix at sjk.us
Fri Jul 16 12:06:57 PDT 2004

--On Friday, July 16, 2004 13:51 -0400 Stephen Jonke <sjj_public at mac.com>
wrote:

> What, if any, is the command to use at the command line to "archive" a
> file in the Panther sense, that is, preserving resource forks? zip
> doesn't seem to do it. "archive" doesn't exist.

ditto can be useful (and reliable) for HFS+ file archiving and cloning
in certain situations.

Create CPIO archive:

    % ditto -c --rsrc src src.cpio

Create PKZip archive:

    % ditto -c -k --rsrc src src.zip

Extract CPIO archive:

    % ditto -x --rsrc src.cpio dir

Extract PKZip archive:

    % ditto -x -k --rsrc src.zip dir

Check the man page for more details and other options.  Probably smart
to run a few tests to get familiar with the syntax if you've never used
it before.  Still seems a bit peculiar to me compared with traditional
Unix commands.

-sjk