[X-Unix] undeleting mail.app accounts?

Justin French justin at indent.com.au
Fri Jun 4 00:02:11 PDT 2004

On 04/06/2004, at 11:35 AM, Dave Higgins wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2004, at 8:17 PM, Justin French wrote:
>
>> I have a back-up that's about 2 weeks old, so it's not the end of the
>> world, but I really like to retrieve the data if possible.  Any
>> hints?
>
> If you want to just recover the backups, I would say create a blank
> new account with the same info, then quit Mail.app. After that,
> replace the empty ~/Library/Mail/ folder with the backup.
>
> Looks good on paper, anyway.
>
> If you're looking to recover all of it, you would need something like
> Norton UnErase (already installed, preferred).

Yeah, I was looking to recover all of it, but I think I'd gone too far
(created a new account) before I realised what I'd done, which has (I
think) made it impossible to recover older content from the same
directory.

The closest I got was recovering the correct mbox file (7.2 meg), but
after sliding it in the right place in my Library folder, Mail.app spat
out a bunch of errors, and treated the mbox file as one large 7.2 meg
email, which was just full of garbage.  No doubt got overwritten or
corrupted at some point, unless someone has any ideas?

Here's to weekly or daily back-ups in future instead of monthly!!

Justin

---
Justin French
http://indent.com.au