[X-Unix] How can a fill a hard drive with data?

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Sat Jun 5 15:23:01 PDT 2004

Adrian Simmons wrote on Saturday, June 5, 2004:

>I've just installed a 160Gb drive in my (pre mirrored door) G4, which
>according to apple can't deal with anything over 120Gb - reports on:
>http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/big_ide_drive_support.html
>vary, so I'd like to test that I can read and write to the entire disk ok.
>I need to fill it and then read back data from beyond the 127Gb mark.
>
>Can anyone suggest handy command line tools for the job?

cat < /dev/random > ~/Desktop/Scramble.dat

Watch the file size in the Finder until it's about a GB or so in size.  Kill the cat with ^C.

Now, take that file and duplicate it in the Finder.  Select all, and duplicate again.  Keep doing that until you've got >120GB on the disk.

Now use the 'cmp' tool to compare the first file you made with the last one that was duplicated.