[X-Unix] Yet another confirmation on netwrok connection...........

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Wed Jun 9 12:18:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:01:59 -0500, Michael Winter <winter at mac.com> wrote:
>>> Try this:
>>>
>>> Type smb://workgroup/server into TextEdit and then select the text and drag
>>> it to your Desktop. This should create an Internet location file. Rename the
>>> file as your server name (if you want) and drag it to the Sidebar of a
>>> Finder window (lower portion). When you single-click on its icon in the
>>> Sidebar, it should bring up the Select a Share window you noted.
>
> I do what is functionally equivalent.
>
> 1) Connect the "usual" way", complete with all the button pushing.
>
> 2) Go to ~/Library/Recent Servers and find the file with the IP address
> corresponding to the server I want.
>
> 3) Copy that file to a convenient location. I have a folder called "My
> Servers" in my documents folder that is also on my Sidebar, but you
> could also put it in the Dock.
>
> 4) Rename that file to something that makes more sense.
>
> AFAIK this file is the same as the file created using the above method.

The main difference is that if you manually create the Location file, you
can include your username, password, and share. If you use the Recent
Servers file -- which is similarly just an OS X Internet Location file --
you have to provide your name and password, and then select the share, each
time.

--
Get some Mac OS X Power Tools: