[X-Unix] Remote force logout and lockout of user

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Wed Jun 16 23:59:21 PDT 2004

>> what if it's a machine that needs to STAY UP?
>>
>> one that maybe can't be shut down 'willy nilly' ..
>
> I've tried the kill <pid of loginwindow proccess> and that logs them
> out without affecting other logged in users or system processes. But
> it sometimes leaves the screen blank (plain blue) with a moveable
> curser, and doesn't reliably give back the main login window.

	To get the loginwindow back you'd need to HUP the process, rather than
plain killing it. So, use instaed "kill -HUP <pid>"; that should "reset
it", killing everything that depends on it (in short, the entire
graphical environment) and bring you back to the login screen so that
new users can log in again.

	Hope that helps. Regards,...

		Juan