[X-Unix] xclock

John Woodrow john at wohome.f9.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 04:04:50 PDT 2004

Thanks for the advice. I can now set xclock to colours that do not
clash horribly with my Blackbox theme!

On Friday, June 18, 2004, at 01:42 PM, Mac OS X Unix wrote:

> I don't know that the "hands" variable does what you think it should do
> (if it works at all in the application, I've never had it work in any
> version of X.) [Note that in the man page it is defined only in the
> context of "reverseVideo." (And, since it only defines "the insides" of
> the hands ...?)]

I got it from NC State University page
<http://www.ncsu.edu/it/essentials/learn_more/a_z_tutorials/unix/
unity_intro/31_colors_cl.html>
I also got the idea of modifying my .Xdefaults file from their site.

> Use these in your .xresources file (or is .Xresources, I forget which
> one is used, I have them both linked to the same file.) ... .Xdefaults
> is not read unless defined via XENVIRONMENT as I recall.)

[ From X manpage

XENVIRONMENT
	 ... ...
	 If this variable is not defined, a file named
$HOME/.Xdefaults-hostname  is
	       looked  for  instead,  where  hostname  is the name of the host
	       where the application is executing.
]

My .Xdefaults file is read whenever X starts up, but now I've created
an .xresources file, that seems to overrule .Xdefaults.
As someone lacking a Unix background, I find initialisation files and
the order in which they are read rather obscure, and proceed largely by
trial and error.

> xclock*background:                      LightSteelBlue
> xclock*secondColor:                     Red
> xclock*minuteColor:                     green
> xclock*hourColor:                       purple

This worked perfectly after restarting X.

> Yeah, none of them are documented, but if you do a strings on the
> executable you will discover that they exist.

Hadn't thought about that. Yup - there are quite a few strings there
that look as though they should represent modifiable options.

> And if you believe the man page, it should be "Xclock.xclock", not
> "Xclock.clock" ...
> (or use xwininfo and/or xprop)
> and use xrdb -q to verify that you don't have conflicting definitions.

----
John Woodrow

email: <johnwoodrow at goldendustman.co.uk>
web site: <http://www.goldendustman.co.uk>