[X-Unix] BOMArchive Helper ?

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sat Jun 19 22:28:17 PDT 2004

Hi,

I can't answer all your questions, or even most of them; however,
reading the man page for ditto explained that the .zip files are in
PKZIP format. If the resource fork is included, it will be stored in a
separate file as either an .AppleDouble file or using a different
option:

  --sequesterRsrc
            ditto will preserve resource forks and HFS meta-data in the
direc-
            tory __MACOSX within PKZip archives.

It sounds as though BOMArchiveHelper either is a cocoa app that calls
ditto (most likely) or implements similar functionality. The ability to
work with .zip files was new with Panther 10.3.0 as best I can recall.
Also, the copyright on BOMArchiveHelper was 2003, looking at the
info.plist file in the package. This is consistent with a Panther 10.3
release, but certainly doesn't prove it.

Norm
Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function."
F. Scott Fitzgerald