[X-Unix] Need to log internet connectivity

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jun 27 10:55:01 PDT 2004

On Jun 27, 2004, at 2:18 pm, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> Our DSL line is intermittent; it goes up and down over periods of
> minutes
> and hours.  To troubleshoot local interference I need to run some
> days-long
> experiments and get a log which would give me something like:
>
> 6:04 AM  DSL went down
> 6:10 AM  DSL came up
> 7:15 AM  DSL went down
> 7:22 AM  DSL came up
>
> What's the *easy* way to get this?

How's your DSL connected..? If you're using a USB modem, then take a
look at the contents of /var/log/ppp/

If you're using an ethernet modem or router then it might be a bit more
difficult to obtain this information. The web-interface of my Draytek
2600 ADSL modem-router allows me to set remote syslogging, so I record
this information on my Linux box. You could probably record it equally
well on your OS X box, but it's not as straightforward as the `cat
/var/log/ppp/whatever` of a directly connected interface.

Stroller.