[X-Unix] Script - works, but not where I need it to

Bert Knabe bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com
Wed Jun 30 19:13:49 PDT 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 8:31 PM, Victor Eijkhout wrote:

> At 20:08 -0500 2004/06/30, Bert Knabe wrote:
>> find /Volumes/composing/\ \ \ Running\ Ads/* -mtime 1 -exec cp -p {}
>> /Volumes/Online/\PDF\'S/In/ \;
>
> What is that star doing there? The first argument of find is supposed
> to be a single directory. The rest are commands starting with a
> "-something" label.

I'll have to ask the guy at corporate that wrote it for me. I assumed
it was a wildcard, although I couldn't imagine why it would be
necessary, since the idea was to copy files modified in the last 24
hours.

But I don't think that would be the problem. The script works when run
from my iMac (accessing the directories on the server), but gives the
error:filecopy22.txt: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long.

I changed the shell on the Xserve from tcsh to bash, hoping that was
the problem, but it gave the same error.

Bert Knabe
Computer Technician
Lubbock Avalanche Journal
bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com
(806) 766-2158

Nothing contained in this email is intended to be an offer to commit
Morris Communications Company to any purchase, sale, contract, or other
course of action.