[X-Unix] printing question.

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Mon Mar 1 06:29:56 PST 2004

On 29 Feb, 2004, at 21:12, Warren Pollans wrote:
> Thanks, that makes sense.
>
> I installed "ESP Ghostscript 7.05" to no avail  :(
>
> How do I tell lpr/lp to use gs?
>
> On Sunday, Feb 29, 2004, at 18:21 US/Eastern, Alex wrote:
>> On Sunday, Feb 29, 2004, at 13:49 Canada/Eastern, Warren Pollans
>> wrote:
>>> THE PROBLEM:  I can have a2ps print to a file (postscript) - and
>>> view and print that file from MacGhostview.  HOWEVER, I can't print
>>> that file via lpr from the commandline - or directly using a2ps
>>> (print to default printer instead of file) - PrintCenter shows no
>>> activity.
>>
>> Sounds like you need a PostScript interpreter. See
>> <http://www.cups.org/ghostscript.php>.

Can you print ANYTHING from lpr --- like "lpr /etc/hostconfig" ?

Pre cups (which appeared first in 10.? -- I forget which release), lpr
does not work "out of the box."
You could print from the Mac OS X interface with no problem, but not
from lpr.

As for the "default printer," you have to define it. There is no
"default printer" by default. (lpr, was simply not configured by the
old printer setup utility.)

It all "just works" when you upgrade to Panther.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com