[X-Unix] Copy old system to new machine

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Mon Mar 8 02:31:16 PST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 2:23 AM, Lewis, Benjamin (Ben) wrote:
> I recently migrated from an iBook to a G5. I was a little nervous
> about doing a clone as the hardware in question is different. Which
> model are you coming from/going to?
>

> Preferences and favourites were preserved. The only problem is that I
> have Airport and battery icons in the Menu Bar. Anybody know how to
> get rid of them?

I cloned (using Disk Utility) a PB G4 867 (Titanium) to a G4 MDD DP
1.25Ghz. Disparate systems clone fine, as long as you either have the
latest version or you do an archive install (preserve user data)
afterward.
OS X is much better about hardware differences than 9 was .The only
problem you'll have is with systems that are released with a
slightly-later-than-current OS. There are none at the moment.

Command-drag the icon off the menu bar.

--
Scott