[X-Unix] Copy old system to new machine

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Mon Mar 8 08:29:23 PST 2004

On 08 Mar, 2004, at 06:02, peter boardman wrote:
> I suppose the reason I’m a bit nervous is that I’m not sure exactly
> what the new machine will have on its disk. So I thought it possible
> that the new one would have new or different software on it that the
> current one wouldn’t, such as video systems or (new for me) any
> DVD-related stuff. Hence the reluctance to just copy over the old
> drive...
>
> To my inexperienced ear, your idea of an archive install or CCClone
> sounds safer although slower! CCCloner has a synchronize option
> too...

Switching from one computer to another is no different than moving from
one house or apartment to another.

Consider:

Your "old house" has certain features - a clothes washer and dryer
maybe. Your "new house" has the same features. But you lived in your
old house for 5 years...
what's the difference?

The new washer and dryer are (theoretically) "better" -- more "energy
efficient," quieter.

Your old computer has iDVD version 1.0. Your new computer has iDVD
version 4.0.

Similarly, your old house is full of the "stuff" you have collected for
5 years. As you prepare to move to your new house, you "pack up" all of
your old stuff -- you look at it, and decide "keep or trash."  Some
stuff you know is "trash." Some stuff you know is "keep." Other stuff
is "maybe," a bunch of stuff is "what on earth is this?" and another
bunch of stuff is "Gadzooks, I haven't opened this box since I moved
into this house 5 years ago."

Your computer is no different.

Any upgrade is a tedious process -- even from one OS level to the next.
There are certain things that "stop working" (trash); certain things
that you have to convert (keep), and lots of stuff that still works,
but you don't know for how long (maybe).

Scott's process is the sound way to do things -- but keep in mind that
you don't have to limit your "connectivity" to FireWire. There are many
ways to keep your "old disks" while migrating to "new disks." (Although
with many of the newer system FW is pretty much what you are limited
to.)

The key is to actually look at, and understand, what you are doing.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com