Strange console.app failure

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Wed Mar 10 09:44:25 PST 2004

This is an esoteric problem, so skip reading unless you are interested
in the greasy bowels of OS X.

Sigh... too many balls in the air (assorted changes) to know exactly
when this problem started, and hence easily back-out things... (i.e.
Quite a few updates to things  since mid-January when I last had went
to use console.app)

The symptoms:

1- console.app launches puts up two blank windows (normal for me). The
two windows are the console and system log. "Normally" after a period
of time, typically 2-5 seconds, the two windows populate with the
contents of their respective log files. Now however, they simply spin
the beach ball. Trying to quit console.app -- fails... go to the
dock... "force quit" is showing... it force quits.

2- clear out /system/library/caches /library/caches and
Extensions.kextcache ... it works again.

3- Similar behavior from System profiler.

4- Similar behavior from Disk Utility -- disks are listed ok. Select a
disk and the beachball spins.

Nothing obviously wrong with permissions ... (Terminal always works
fine.)

The only "wierd error" in startup I find, is that ntpdate now fails on
every reboot. (If you run ntpdate manually, it complains, as expected,
that the port is in use, but then fails with a bus error. So this one
can be easily ignored.)
And occasionally:
"mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd":
exited as a result of signal 1 [pid 162]"
Then lookupd apparently restarts with no problem. This bothers me, but
doesn't appear to be a real problem.

I'm currently favoring a USB related problem:

During the course of tracking this down, I also had my Kensington
wireless trackball suddenly stop working... but a "plain" USB mouse
plugged into my MacAllay keyboard, and the keyboard work fine.
Also ... my Epson CX5200 prints with no problems... but the scanner
can't be seen.

Power cycling the world doesn't seem to have any effect. Only clearing
the ktextcache. So, I assume that the original ktext extension files
are intact, but once the ktextcache is created the data there is
corrupt.

???

Any ideas.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com