[X-Unix] cellphone-ibook communication

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Wed Mar 24 01:13:27 PST 2004

On 22 Mar 2004, at 16:28, Warren Pollans wrote:

> I'd like to learn about cellphone (sanyo 4900) ibook communication -
> via usb-cellphone cable.  I want to learn how this works so I can
> backup the phonebook on my phone to my ibook.  Any ideas/suggestions
> about where to start?

Assuming your phone supports infrared communication (IrDA), another
idea is to use GSM Remote <http://www.traud.de/gsm/remote/index.html>.
This is shareware ($10) which'll communicate with most IrDA enabled
phones. For most Macs you'll need to buy a USB IrDA adapter too. I've
used this with a number of Nokia phones to swap contacts around, make
backups, send SMS text messages and the like. It's a little basic but
quite functional.

As an aside, once you've attached the USB IrDA adapter, effectively it
becomes a serial device. You can then use a number of tools to send AT
commands to the phone. I hacked together a quick script which captured
incoming SMS text messages to a FileMaker database and then deleted the
message from the phone.

Simon Forster
  LDML Ltd, 62 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5HZ, UK
  Tel: +44 (0)70 9230 5244   Fax: +44 (0)70 9230 5247