[X-Unix] Hiding apps from the command line

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 26 16:02:14 PST 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 5:49 pm, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On 3/26/04 6:05 PM, "Stroller" <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>> You're missing an flag. You either need a flag for "hide" (the same as
>> running the command without a flag) or you need a flag to specify that
>> the next argument is the app name. Otherwise someone will, eventually,
>> discover that the command is unable to hide an app named o (or -o, as
>> the cae may be).
>
> I don't agree. I think it's good to make it as simple as possible, so
> that
> without a flag you can still do something.

I would, personally, choose hiding to be the default behaviour, if no
flag is supplied.
But if the script is unable to hide an app called "-o", then that is a
bug.

The -e flag to grep springs to mind as an example of what I mean:
   grep foo bar	# look for every instance of foo in file bar
   grep -e foo bar	# as above
   grep e bar		# look for instances of the letter e in bar
   grep -e bar		# look for instances of "bar" on standard in
   grep -e -e bar	# look for every instance of "-e" in file bar

Stroller.