[X-Unix] Hiding apps from the command line

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Mar 26 16:49:54 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:21:59AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
: On Mar 26, 2004, at 7:40 pm, Eugene Lee wrote:
: >:
: >: It's probably more elegant to use #!/bin/bash at the beginning of
: >: your scripts, as we don't actually have a Bourne shell on our Macs.
: >
: >True, but not everyone has /bin/bash.  Some have /usr/local/bin/bash.
: >/bin/sh is guaranteed to be more portable.
:
: You're using applescript in scripts that are intended to be
: portable..?!?

Point taken.  Unix habits die hard.  Dooh!

: The rest of your quote from the manpage deals with startup options,
: about reading initialisation files on startup, but doesn't seem to
: specify how bash deals with commands that have different syntax (or do
: not exist) in the Bourne shell, if invoked as /bin/sh.

There are more definitive lists of differences.  Here's a few if you
need some light reading:

	http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/shell-differences/

	http://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_122.html

--