Newbie hard drive backup dilemma

Ethan Rips rips.ej at dreyfus.com
Sun Mar 28 05:54:49 PST 2004

Calling all experts--

I need help!

Here's the scoop:

1. My hard drive was severely fragmented. It took a few passes with TechTool
Pro to clean that up. That took all of yesterday (I left before it
finished).

2. I ran DiskWarrior again this morning. It shows that the hard drive is no
longer fragmented, which is good, but still says it can't rebuild the
directories because they're too severely damaged (same message I got when I
first ran DiskWarrior on Friday).

3. DiskWarrior recommends backing up the directories it created for the
rebuild, but I have to figure out how to do that, since my backup tools
don't seem to be available when DiskWarrior is running.

4. Basic backup problem:

    a. I need ability to access backup tools at same time that DiskWarrior's
replacement directories (see #3 above) are visible (i.e., when my Mac has
booted from the DiskWarrior disk) so I can use the former to back up the
latter. But the backup tools on my hard drive don't seem to be accessible at
this point in the process.

    b. I have Carbon Copy Cloner, Cocktail, BootCD & NetRestore, but haven't
been able to use them yet because I haven't been able yet to convince my
boss to spring for an external FW hard drive.

Let's assume I get the OK tomorrow to buy an external FW hard drive. Has
anyone got any pointers for me on how to do this? (very nuts-&-bolts for
someone as unfamiliar with Unix backups as he is familiar with pre-OS X
troubleshooting).

Thanks.

Ethan