[X-Unix] Phantom drive

Ben Gold bgold at acedsl.com
Mon Mar 29 10:43:43 PST 2004

This raises the question that I've had for awhile... are there any
firewire probing utilities?  If not, why not?

Unlike old SCSI drives (remember SCSI probe?), it seems like it's very
hard to get a report on what the firewire bus is seeing vs. what the OS
is mounting.  I've often pined for some utility that would tell me how
many devices are seen on the firewire bus.  Is there some limitation in
the firewire spec that makes it impossible to see a drive or device
that's not mounting/working?

I've had some luck with DiskWarriror seeing corrupted drives, but I've
also had drives that wouldn't mount unless I restarted or re-logged in.
  I assume it had something to do with what has been noted below, a
phantom diskmount directory.

-Ben