URL remapped to .local address

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Tue May 4 12:34:44 PDT 2004

What would cause a URL to map to a .local address when entered into the
web browser? For example, the URL http://mydomain.com:1234/~jukebox
(without an ending slash) turns into
http://mylocalmachine.local/~jukebox/ which fails because I'm trying
this while not on my local network. The machine "mylocalmachine" is
behind an airport base station which has port mapping of port 1234 to
port 80 on mylocalmachine. What's weird is that if I add an ending
slash to the URL, then it works:  http://mydomain.com:1234/~jukebox/
If I leave out the ending slash, it maps to the .local address.

When typing the same URL (http://mydomain.com:1234/~jukebox) into IE on
Windows, it just fails to load, rather than actually changing on screen
to the .local address. I'm presuming it really is changing to a .local
address and IE for windows is just not showing that, but I'm not sure.
Again if I provide the address with a following slash it works fine.

Note that entering the numeric IP address instead of mydomain.com still
has the same result.

Am I running into a bug with the airport base stations port mapping, or
did I set something up some time in the past that is doing this?

Steve