running xterm commands from .xinitrc

Adrian Simmons adriman at ntlworld.com
Sun May 9 06:21:21 PDT 2004

Hello,

This seems like it should be really easy, but I can't figure it out or
find any info on the web.

How can a run a script or a command in xterm from ~/.xinitrc?

I've set up X11 forwarding between my G4 (Panther) and G3 (Jaguar), and
I'm trying to make it a little easier to ssh in to the G4 and start
forwarding (this is for my better half, I'd just use the command line...).

I'm trying to do things like this:
xterm -geometry 80x24 -sb -rightbar -fg white -bg navy -e .sshconnect.sh &

or:
xterm -geometry 80x24 -sb -rightbar -fg white -bg navy -e "ssh -X
192.168.0.2" &

But I can't seem to get the syntax right for the -e option. Can anyone help?

The idea is that the xterm will open, the command be entered and all the
  user has to do is type their passwd.

As an aside, the xterm windows now appear under the OSX menu bar - I
can't find the fix for that either, anyone help?

TIA

Adrian