[X-Unix] Application 'launch-cache'...

luke etyrnal at ameritech.net
Wed May 19 17:26:18 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, May 19, 2004, at 03:29  AM, Kuestner, Bjoern wrote:

> OS X also does actual caching. Run any of the available applications
> to fix
> your prebindings and you should see a speedup at launch if the app was
> not
> prebound already.
>
> Then start the app. Quit the app. Start it again and it should load
> significantly faster. The effect is quite noticeable on my iBook for
> many
> apps. Then if I don't use the app for a while starting it again takes
> just
> as long because it's not in the cache anymore.
>
> OS X uses all available RAM for caching all sorts of things including
> application launches. That's what also confuses people at times when
> they
> have 1 GB of memory installed and run a memory monitor. After a while
> RAM
> will fill up to around 90% depending on their work. So they think they
> have
> a memory leak or some app hogging RAM. But it's just OS X for instance
> keeping stuff in RAM although it's not used anymore just in case the
> user
> decides otherwise and does use it again. If there's a better way to
> use the
> RAM for something else OS X will overwrite it.

thanks - makes sense.

> He can't. I don't believe Xgrid works that way.
>
> What about putting a smaller "agent application" inbetween. The agent
> is
> started and quit by Xgrid and then connects to a continously running
> "worker
> thread" on the machine.

if i create a script on the remote agent machine so that xgrid is
actually passing the parameters to it, then the remote script is doing
the actual launching...  is this what you mean?

also would that script run with the same permissions as the agent?

i seem to be having quite a bit of difficulty due to the fact that the
agent appears to be running as user 'nobody'...

i seems that there may be some file or directory that the
remote-launched application is attempting to access in the
/private/var/root/...

so it returns an error...

can i create a link/alias to this point and make that one single
directory have read privileges for 'everyone' ??

i am still quite confused as to how this xgrid thing is supposed to
work if the agent is 99% powerless - permissions-wise...

- luke