[X-Unix] curl install problem

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Sun Nov 14 17:52:37 PST 2004

	Hello Phill,

On Nov 14, 2004, at 8:46 PM, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> I'm trying to update curl from Jag's 7.7.2 to 7.10.7 in order to
> install WWW::Curl but I'm puzzled by the make install errors I'm
> getting:

	DarwinPorts currently offers curl 7.12.2, but I'm not too sure how it
compiles on Jaguar (apparently there are very few DP users with
Jaguar). You can ask in the dp mailing list, have a look at
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org for more info. However,...

	---snip---

> /bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/bin/man/man3
> mkdir /usr/bin/man
> mkdir: /usr/bin/man: File exists
> mkdir /usr/bin/man/man3
> mkdir: /usr/bin/man/man3: Not a directory
> make[6]: *** [install-man3] Error 1
> make[5]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[4]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [install-data-hook] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [install-data-am] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

	This is a *really* weird choice for a man directory, even more if you
consider this is a "third party" installation. That dir should be
either /usr/local/man or /usr/local/share/man, unless you specified
something else in the "configure" script

> It seems to be trying to make a directory called man3 which I can't
> quite figure out.

	Curl has a lot of man pages which belong in the 3rd section of the
online manual, which is why it needs that dir. Though why the creation
of the man3 dir is failing, however weird the path might be, escapes
me, I'd have to look at the installation section of the Makefile to
figure it out, but that is not something currently under my reach.

> Any advice appreciated.

	Have a look at DarwinPorts!

> Regards,
>
>     Phil (please cc me if possible: I'm on digest).

	Regards,...

		Juan