[X-Unix] Files Whose Names Begin With "."

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Wed Nov 24 07:23:10 PST 2004

   How can I remove the useless files?  As I found from experiment and by
   reading "man rm", rm will not touch anything which begins with "."

Sure it will: rm doesn't care about leading dots.

Be carefult though: since it doesn't care, you can get into a lot of
trouble.  For example, NEVER DO:

	rm -R .*

Unless you want everything in your current directory deleted (:-).

The ls command and its ilk don't normally show files starting with a
dot, but you can add the -a option to do so.

Also, there may be permissions issues making it appear as if rm has
problems deleting such a file.

Craig