[X-Unix] Re: Putting Serial # into System Profiler

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Fri Nov 26 10:24:28 PST 2004

On 25 Nov, 2004, at 05:53, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 24.11.2004 um 23:26 schrieb
> x-unix-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com:
>
>> Apple System Profiler displays the serial number in only about half of
>> our company computers (mostly iMacs). How would one go about entering
>> serial numbers into the Apple System Profiler for the rest of them?
>
> The serial number is stored in the OpenBoot PROM (OBP).

This is totally dependent on the particular box. I think it is true for
all new G4 and G5 machines, but I can't find any sort of confirmation
on that. Older Apple docs (circa 1999) indicate that there was no
reliable serial number recorded except that on the outside shipping
box. My beige G3 (an OF box) does not have the serial number.

Some older Macs stored the serial number in the boot block on the hard
disk.

> There probably is more than way to access it, the first one being
> burning, the second a hard reset/PROM reset. The third one would be
> Forth, the programming language of OBP while your 'in the OBP', having
> booted while pressing alt-Apple-O-F (OF = Open Firmware). In this
> state you can list devices, change working directories, set boot
> paths, list your environment ...
>
> ioreg can retrieve quite a lot of settings from OBP. 'ioreg -l -p
> IODeviceTree | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber' returns that serial
> number.
>
> There are a few places with documentation on the OpenBoot PROM, coming
> from DEC/Digital, adopted by Sun and Apple too. These two companies
> have some docs around ...

I believe that "OpenBoot PROM" is in fact a Sun-ism; "OpenFirmware" and
"OpenProm" are the IEEE standard names, which Apple utilizes.
http://www.openfirmware.org/

You can find a number of Apple documents (including the SDK) by
searching the developer site for "openfirmware" and "openprom".

See also Apple's OF site:
http://bananajr6000.apple.com/
It has all of the Apple OF technotes.

It's not clear to me if the Serial Number is now stored in the PROM,
but it if really is, then a prom reset should restore it. (CMD-OPT-P-R,
wait for the second beep.) However, it is in the OpenFirmware as
"serial-number," and does not show up as an environmental variable.

You can display it from OF by simply typing ".properties."  (It does
not display via
"nvram -p".)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com