[X-Unix] Putting Serial # into System Profiler

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 27 01:17:16 PST 2004

On 11/26/04 2:40 PM, "Phillip Burk" <philburk at mac.com> wrote:

>> Because I have a very close friend who is a developer with Apple that
>>> has a G5 tower with no serial number returned.  His machine is
>>> refurbed
>>> so I expect that either the EEPROM has been flashed empty or the
>>> number
>>> wasn't flashed in.
>>
>> Ok, so why should _you_ be able to write to it?
>
> A valid question.  Because I can.  And because I too have several
> computers that do not report their serial numbers to ARD.

I still don't understand. Why should you be able to? From Apple's point of
view, they'll say that you can't because you could effectively change the
serial number of a given computer...

Kirk

          Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France