[X-Unix] >console login problems

gurple gurple at mac.com
Sun Nov 28 00:17:42 PST 2004

Sorry to be coming to this a little bit late. There are certain daemons
that for some reason require CoreGraphics and various other higher
level systems to be running. What I'd guess is kickstarting parts of
the GUI after login in as console is that you've got Apple Remote
Desktop enabled under the sharing tab in the System Preferences. I'm
also assuming that you're running 10.3.x. Try turning off Remote
Desktop and then dropping to the console. If the GUI parts still kick
back in you should be able to ssh in (if it's running) and reboot the
system nicely.

Cheers,
gurple