[X-Unix] Networking when booting OS X in text mode

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Wed Oct 6 23:21:25 PDT 2004

Hello,
As most of you already know, you can use OS X in almost pure
frambuffered console mode by doing a few nasty tweaks and typing
 >console as the username in the login prompt. This should dump you in
pure text mode, no graphical window server whatsoever.

However, my concern is the following.

*** The Wrong:
Apparently, OS X seems to initialize networking for, say, airport in my
case, only when a graphical session is started.
It seems that all adapters are brought up, but they don't seem to follow
the profile currently applied. They just stand there, basically, in
"unknown" state. Following this logic, they only seem to work when you
are _logged in_ as well. I don't think networking is fully operational
(at least in the case of 802.11b) until you have started a session. At
least in my case.
I understand why that would happen, since profiles and the airport
manager seem to only apply inside your session since the airport applet
is only launched then.

*** The what:
Well, I would like to know if there is a way to enable networking while
in full text-mode-only-we-like-framebuffered-consoles mode.
So far, ifconfig returns the interface (ne1), but it is in the state
"unknown".

*** The why:
Don't ask why I want to do this ;) I just feel like it. It has to do
with me being easily distracted when programming bash (I tend to do
everything in perl, whenever I can. As for if that is a good or a bad
habit... ;P), and a strange, utterly immoral fondness for text
environnements.

Anyways, this e-mail is most likely not making much sense, sorry -- but
it's 2:13 AM and I've been up for well over 35 hours.
I'll re-read this tommorow and when I'll come to my senses and ponder
about parsing this message through sed and awk in order to make some
sense out of it, and then i'll follow it up with another one saying how
sorry I am, and with precisions.

Why am I not sending it only tommorow instead? Well, I just tought of
that six lines ago, and I will send it anyways because i'm cool like that.

Thank you all in advance for your patience

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is
overhead for the operating system.