[X-Unix] Creating users with the command line

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Mon Oct 11 12:32:44 PDT 2004

G'day Folks

I'm trying to (re)configure the Apache server in my Mac OS X.3
following the instructions given in "Apache the Definitive Guide"
(O'Reilly). I'm doing this both as a learning exercise and because I
need a more sophisticated testing server than I currently have, in
particular I need multiple virtual servers with SSL.

Early on ATDG advises creating a user called 'webuser' in a group
'webgroup'. The authors advise first creating webgroup using the
command ...
	adduser -group webgroup
then using addgroup to add webuser however when I attempt to run those
commands I get ...
	-bash: adduser: command not found
Can anyone advise how I can do this on OS X.3? The objective is to
create a user who "cannot actually log in" for Apache services to run
as.

Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The worst realities of our age are manufactured realities. It is
therefore our task, as
creative participants in the universe, to redream our world. The fact
of possessing
imagination means that everything can be redreamed. Each reality can
have its alternative
possibilities. Human beings are blessed with the necessity of
transformation."
                                              Ben Okri in 'A Way of
Being Free', 1997, p49