[X-Unix] Creating users with the command line

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Oct 11 14:51:47 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 05:32:44AM +1000, Pedro fp wrote:
:
: Early on ATDG advises creating a user called 'webuser' in a group
: 'webgroup'. The authors advise first creating webgroup using the
: command ...
: 	adduser -group webgroup
: then using addgroup to add webuser however when I attempt to run those
: commands I get ...
: 	-bash: adduser: command not found
: Can anyone advise how I can do this on OS X.3? The objective is to
: create a user who "cannot actually log in" for Apache services to run
: as.

The purpose of creating a seperate user/group is to take advantage of
the Unix user privilege system to isolate Apache from undesired access
to other non-web files.  Apple has already done so with its installation
of Apache.  Just use user "www" and group "www".

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/