[X-Unix] Creating users with the command line

Steffen Lund Hokland hokland at mr.au.dk
Mon Oct 11 23:50:23 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have no idea about Apache whatsoever, but FINK has a package called
userutils, with the 'normal' UNIX commands for adding and removing
users.

Best regards,
Steffen

On 11/10-2004, at 21.32, Pedro fp wrote:

> G'day Folks
>
> I'm trying to (re)configure the Apache server in my Mac OS X.3
> following the instructions given in "Apache the Definitive Guide"
> (O'Reilly). I'm doing this both as a learning exercise and because I
> need a more sophisticated testing server than I currently have, in
> particular I need multiple virtual servers with SSL.
>
> Early on ATDG advises creating a user called 'webuser' in a group
> 'webgroup'. The authors advise first creating webgroup using the
> command ...
> 	adduser -group webgroup
> then using addgroup to add webuser however when I attempt to run those
> commands I get ...
> 	-bash: adduser: command not found
> Can anyone advise how I can do this on OS X.3? The objective is to
> create a user who "cannot actually log in" for Apache services to run
> as.
>

> Cheers, Pedro :-)
>
> Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
> Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
>                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "The worst realities of our age are manufactured realities. It is
> therefore our task, as
> creative participants in the universe, to redream our world. The fact
> of possessing
> imagination means that everything can be redreamed. Each reality can
> have its alternative
> possibilities. Human beings are blessed with the necessity of
> transformation."
>                                              Ben Okri in 'A Way of
> Being Free', 1997, p49

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and
child."
Fmr. vice president Dan Quale
Steffen Lund Hokland, MSc.
PhD Student