[X-Unix] Creating users with the command line

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Tue Oct 12 05:04:30 PDT 2004

Eugene wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:50:23AM +0200, Steffen Lund Hokland wrote:
>:
>: I have no idea about Apache whatsoever, but FINK has a package called
>: userutils, with the 'normal' UNIX commands for adding and removing
>: users.

Well, unless I am mistaken, I think adduser/useradd (whatever is used on
OS X in the fink package) will create *unix* users, as in, in the
password file.
You should use the niutil, I believe. Unless the useradd proposed there
is just some kind of wrapper over niutil...

>There is no "normal" (i.e. "standard") Unix commands for adding/removing
>
>users.  *BSD use "adduser".  Linux distros use useradd.  Pick your poison.

On my OpenBSD box, useradd is well there... and it is larger than
adduser, for some reason. On most linux distros, adduser is there as
well, but it is a script that passes distribution defaults to useradd.

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for
the operating system.