[X-Unix] Creating users with the command line

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Oct 12 19:40:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 06:25:46PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
:
: On Oct 12, 2004, at 2:14 AM, Eugene wrote:
:
: >On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:50:23AM +0200, Steffen Lund Hokland wrote:
: >:
: >: I have no idea about Apache whatsoever, but FINK has a package called
: >: userutils, with the 'normal' UNIX commands for adding and removing
: >: users.
: >
: >There is no "normal" (i.e. "standard") Unix commands for
: >adding/removing users.  *BSD use "adduser".  Linux distros use
: >useradd.  Pick your poison.
:
: Actually, IIRC, both adduser and useradd are simply shell scripts to
: the pw command.  The pw command (not distributed with Mac OS X) handles
: all of the fields in a standard password file, and can deal with shadow
: files as well.

On FreeBSD, adduser(8) is a Perl script, but it doesn't invoke pw(8).
On Linux, useradd(8) is a binary and there is no pw command (unless it
comes from some additional package).

BTW, hi Eric, I didn't recognize you without the PGP sig.  ;-)

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/