[X-Unix] Modifying .bashrc to display dns name of machine I'm logged into

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Oct 13 07:09:17 PDT 2004

On Oct 13, 2004, at 8:12 AM, Our PAl Al wrote:

> Subject pretty much says it all. I'm working on an Apple scientific
> cluster
> and am constantly ssh-ing into the Head Node, then into various other
> nodes.
> My prompt is always just "-sh-2.05b#" and I frequently forget where I
> am.
> Life would be much easier with my hostname in the prompt. How do I do
> that?
>
> - opa

A 0.34 second search on google comes up with about 98,000 answers to
the phrase "BASH how to change prompt."  I would appreciate if you
would at least _try_ to search for an answer yourself, and if you
cannot find what you're looking for, or don't understand the
information you find, the ask the list.  The link for the above search
is:
"http://www.google.com/search?q=BASH+how+to+change+prompt&ie=UTF
-8&oe=UTF-8" if you want to check it out yourself.

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks