[X-Unix] UFS volume full?

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Wed Oct 13 21:15:29 PDT 2004

I have a 20GB UFS partition on my G5, which is used exclusively for a
news spool (using leafnode).  Typically, this runs about 10-15% full,
with maybe 50 directories containing thousands of files.  However,
intermittently, the volume will show as being full - df reports 100%
usage (space, not inodes), and write attempts to the volume fail with
disk full messages.

When I realize this, I go into the mail spool directory and start doing
du -sh summaries on each of the dozen news subdirectories, to see where
all the space has gone.  Inevitably, I'll get about halfway through
this process, with the directories reporting normal usage; when the
volume will revert to normal status.  Note that I'm not deleting any
files during this process, just touching them with du.

Any thoughts?  I was thinking inodes or sparse files somehow, but
nothing really fits the symptoms.  If I hit a file limit in a
directory, would that report the whole volume as full?

KeS