[X-Unix] UFS volume full?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Oct 15 07:53:50 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 08:50:54AM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
: On Oct 15, 2004, at 4:07 AM, Eugene wrote:
: >On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 08:24:03PM -0700, Kevin Stevens wrote:
: >: On Oct 14, 2004, at 06:09, Eric Crist wrote:
: >: >
: >: > Other than that, are you using UFS1 or UFS2?
: >:
: >: Umm, not sure how I'd tell?  I'm using whatever Panther creates when
: >: you set up a UFS partition using Disk Utility.
: >
: >OS X doesn't do UFS2.  AFAIK, the only OSes that do UFS2 are FreeBSD
: >5.x and NetBSD.
:
: I was under the impression that OS X was based of FreeBSD 5.x.  If that
: is the case, then UFS2 should be a native filesystem, with preference
: for Apple's HFS+.

Nope.  OS X got a head start by syncing its userland with FreeBSD 4.x.
No UFS2 at the time.  Besides, the big reason for UFS2 was to support
extended attributes, aka "resource forks" in HFS+ speak, which Apple
already has with HFS+.

No doubt there will be plenty of cross-polination between FreeBSD 5.x
and Darwin (7.x? 8.x?).  Whether that means that UFS2 will make it into
OS X Tiger is unknown.

BTW, all praise Apple for getting Jordan Hubbard!  It'd be doubly-nice
if Apple could snag Matthew Dillon as well.  :-)

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/