[X-Unix] Dial-up connection speed?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Oct 21 08:10:13 PDT 2004

Good morning, all;
   Is there a way to display the connection speed of an active modem
connection under OS X, other than leaving the "Internet Connect" control
panel open?
   I have convinced my father-in-law to (finally) switch from OS 9 to OS X,
and he misses the way it showed the connection speed in the menu bar. [I
must confess that I don't remember this.]
   I couldn't find a haxie or freeware widget to do this, but I thought that
Geek Tool could probably be used, if only I could find the right number.
(Can `netstat` be coerced into giving me the right numbers?)
   So can anyone suggest where I might find existing software that does
this, or a source for this number in OS X that I can find a way to display
myself?
   Thanks in advance.
-wde
P.S. He uses 10.2.8 now, but I will convince him to upgrade to 10.3.x RSN.
--
William Enestvedt