[X-Unix] Any CLI multi-line regex find utilities out there?

Thomas Juntunen juntunen at crc-inc.com
Wed Oct 27 11:55:32 PDT 2004

On 10/27/2004 13:47, "Alexandre Gauthier" <supernaut at underwares.org> wrote:

> It just occured to me, why can't you do something such as
> cat file_containing_very_long_text_from_a_email_body | grep --yourstuff
> 'your regex'?

I'm no expert at grep/egrep, but looking at their man pages, I don't see a
way to cause patterns to apply beyond line endings. Using perl or python,
one can specify a "global" flag that causes the dot metacharacter to match
line-ends which it ordinarily wouldn't do. The options listed for grep/egrep
don't specify a way to do that (that I can see) and my limited experimenting
on my Panther machine didn't work.

Thomas Juntunen
Network Administrator
CRC Marketing Solutions