[X-Unix] How to use ESC as Meta in Enhanced Carbon Emacs?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Wed Sep 15 13:39:46 PDT 2004

>> Do you have the box "Use option key as meta key"
>> checked?
>> (most probable cause.)
>
> No (see above)

Mumble... I was betting that was the cause.

>> Look at the file:
>> /usr/share/emacs/21.1/lisp/startup.el see if there
>> is
>> (setq mac-command-key-is-meta t)
>> [There shouldn't be one.]
>
> No, there isn't.
>
> What else could possibly be the cause?  Are we using
> the same version/build of the Terminal application?
> Mine is 1.3.1 (v82).
>
> -- DekuDekuplex

I was probably looking at the 10.3.5 version instead of 10.2.8 when I
wrote the above.

You are running 10.2.6, correct? (I must have deleted the original, and
there are no archives.)

What gets inserted in the file if you type "esc" in an emacs buffer?
Since its not recognized you should be able to simply type it as a
character.

You don't have any kind of special keyboard configuration program by
any chance?

How about a ~/.emacs file?

The answer must be one of two things.

Since the option key DOES work as escape: the implication is that there
is either a global definition in effect (in the terminal application or
in "keycaps") which causes the option key to emit the keyboard code for
escape, or emacs has been specifically configured to recognize the
option key instead of the escape key.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com