[X-Unix] How to use ESC as Meta in Enhanced Carbon Emacs?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Sun Sep 19 08:58:50 PDT 2004

On 19 Sep, 2004, at 03:59, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
> In the /Applications/Utilities/Keycaps application,
> when I press the "Escape" key by itself, usually
> nothing happens (I write "usually" because if I hold
> "Escape" for a few seconds, then Keycaps registers the
> key-press, and if I then press "Escape" quickly
> immediately afterwards, sometimes this key-press also
> registers).

This sounds more and more like a hardware problem -- a bad keyboard.

It is not unheard of for single keys to "die."

Modern keyboards tend to be more robust than those of yore, but I've
still had them fail.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com