[X-Unix] How to use ESC as Meta in Enhanced Carbon Emacs?

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 23:42:55 PDT 2004

>From: "Benjamin L. Russell" <dekudekuplex at yahoo.com>

<snip>

>What's strange is that the "Escape" key is not
>recognized in any other Mac OS X application in Aqua
>or Darwin, either, unless I simultaneously press the
>"Shift" key, so the "Shift" + "Escape" = "Escape"
>setting seems to be global across all Mac OS X
>applications, whether Aqua or Darwinian.

Probably not a welcome idea for an emacs user, but what about vi?  vi
is pretty basic in its use of 'esc' to terminate input mode.

In a new terminal window vi a new file, press 'a', enter some text
and press 'esc'.  Pressing ':' should then put the cursor at the
bottom of the screen after a ':' indicating that the 'esc'
successfully terminated input mode.

If this doesn't work I would suspect a h/w problem.  You may have to
close the window to quit vi if you can't get an 'esc' char into it.
(That's why I suggested a new window).

If it does work, then 'q<return>' after the bottom line ':' will quit vi.

Apologies if you know vi and it was one of the tests you already used.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
dledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk