Re: [X-Unix] Why didn't Apple change the line break ?

Brent Baisley brent at landover.com
Mon Sep 20 11:58:41 PDT 2004

Unix standard is just a line break, Mac standard is  just a carriage
return. Changing it to Unix standard probably would have broken all
text interfaces in all programs on the Mac since they wouldn't know
where a line ended. Windows uses both line feeds and carriage returns.
So if anything, Apple should have change to Windows standard as sort of
a transition.
For web stuff, I find if I code to Unix standard I'm pretty safe.
Probably because the web was originally based in Unix/Mainframe, so
most Mac programs used for the web would recognize how a line ends.

Both the terms line feed and carriage return are kind of antiquated.
Derived from the type writer. A line feed "scrolled" the paper to the
next line, but left you in the same spot vertically. A "carriage
return" returned the "carriage" back to the left. So if you think about
it, Windows is the only platform that got it right using both a
carriage return and line feed. When you press return you are brought to
the start of the next line. Then there is the vertical tab, which
FileMaker using as a return within the database. Go figure.