[X-Unix] Why didn't Apple change the line bre ak ?

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Sep 22 02:16:13 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 03:10:23PM -0700, Craig wrote:
:
: On Sep 21, 2004, at 7:40 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:
:
: >You're not using a standard version of "ls".  Do this and report
: >what you see in a text editor:
: >
: >	$ /bin/ls > files.txt
: >
:
: You're right, Eugene. My ls commands default to /sw/bin/ls, which is
: part of fileutils 4.1 & unlike Apple's included ls, works with ls
: --color. I tried /bin/ls & it doesn't make those characters. Thanks,
: I'll remember that when I need to make lists. But normally I like the
: color, & I still wonder why it does that, when I've never seen anything
: like it on any Linux distro?

I've never installed the Fink package for GNU fileutils.  The normal
behavior for "ls" is that color sequences are not sent when the output
is not going to a terminal.  It sounds like "ls" isn't working right.
I'd contact both the Fink guys and the fileutils maintainer, then let
them know that there's something broken.

: btw, my .bashrc does include: alias ls='ls --color'
: I tested /sw/bin/ls just now without that alias, & it does indeed work
: normally!
: So Eugene was right once again...

Wow, I wish I could be this right with the next Powerball numbers...

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/